1) Anti-Aging and Cancer fighter: Granny’s have the highest level of polyphenols of all apples. Phenolic compounds are also known as flavonoids, which have antioxidant effects. Countering oxidative stress means they help fight the effects of aging and inflammation by destroying free radicals before radicals can cause harmful damage to your body, including cancer-causing DNA mutations.
2) Supports weight loss: The carbohydrate content is 10% lower in green apples as compared to red apples (who needs extra sugar?) while the fiber it provides makes your body work for the energy it extracts, aiding in weight loss and maintenance. Its high fiber content also helps eliminate the additives in highly processed food, improves digestion, and keeps your bowels moving regularly and just right (no straining!).
3) Healthy Skin and Scalp: Resveratrol, another polyphenol found in Granny’s, acts as an antioxidant, promoting hydrated and glowing skin. The Quercetin in the apple is a plant compound with antioxidant and antihistamine properties, which research has shown to decrease eczema-like inflammation.
4) Vision protector: Vitamins A and C protect against night blindness and other age related vision problems. The skin of the green apple is loaded with A, which supports the conjunctiva (white part) of the eye as a barrier against infections. Vitamin C promotes rapid cell rejuvenation helping to protect the eye’s lens and healing cornea damage faster.
5) Liver Detoxifier: It is estimated that over 80 million Americans have Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, (NAFLD) which is linked to obesity and diabetes. This disease can lead to cirrhosis, liver cancer and liver failure. NAFLD is becoming more prevalent as a result of the rise in obesity worldwide. In fact, in its most severe form (end-stage liver disease), Fatty Liver is on pace to become the leading cause for liver transplants by 2020. Diet and exercise are currently the most effective ways to help reverse the amount of fat in the liver. Recently, however, researchers discovered that ursolic acid, a natural substance in the green apple peel was found to help reduce obesity, glucose intolerance, and fatty liver disease while increasing muscle mass and brown fat (good), pointing to it as a potential therapy for obesity and obesity-related illnesses.
6) Asthma Fighter: A study in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine showed that eating apples twice a week was associated with a reduced risk of asthma. This could be due to the polyphenols in the peel acting as antioxidants to calm increased reactivity in the airway, the fiber content helping to absorb key nutrients, the Vitamin C providing connective tissue and anti-inflammatory support, or perhaps all of these and more…
Eat a green apple first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to help slow the sugar absorption that comes with eating breakfast. This effect will last long into the day.
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research, “Foods that help fight cancer”
Keep Your Liver Lean with Apple Skin by: Nicole Cutler, L.Ac., MTCM, Dipl. Ac. (NCCAOM)