Mashed Cauliflower with Ghee
This light and airy cauliflower recipe is a tasty low carb substitute for mashed potatoes. Cauliflower is a high fiber cruciferous vegetable that is low in calories; one cup equals 20 calories and 200 grams of protein. It is high in vitamins C, K, B6, Folate, Potassium, Manganese, Magnesium and Phosphorus. Cauliflower’s own starch means that a small amount of ghee goes a long way in creating a luscious consistency. Sour cream and parmesan cheese can also be added along with rosemary, thyme or sage for interesting additions to the dish.
|1||large cauliflower florets 1-inch pieces (3 lbs.)
|3||tbsp. – Ghee
|6||cloves of garlic, divided
|Freshly cracked black pepper
|Chopped chives for garnish
1) Boil the cauliflower florets in salted water to help season the vegetables while cooking. It is cooked when it is fork tender.
2) Remove and drain the cauliflower, so that it is not runny. Set aside
3) In the same pot, heat the ghee. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, about one minute
4) Puree the cauliflower in a blender, hand immersion blender, or food processor.
5) Transfer the blended cauliflower into the pot with ghee and garlic. Stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6) Garnish with chives